The VOLUME Summer Program at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is a service-based, hands-on learning experience for high school students hoping to pursue careers in healthcare and allied health (medicine, nursing, respiratory therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, child life, social work, and so on). Participants have the opportunity to work one-on-one with the Hospital’s pediatric patients at bedside and in special education classrooms. VOLUME also includes skill, character and team-building activities, educational presentations and job shadowing opportunities. All sessions are held at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital. Space for the VOLUME Summer Program is limited.
Volunteers will assist in the Hospital’s Play While You Wait program, providing fun and engaging activities to patients and siblings in the Outpatient Services waiting area. Volunteers will be assigned to one weekly shift, from 8:30-10:30, 10:30-12:30, 1:00-3:00 or 3:00-4:30, Mondays through Fridays during the summer months.
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is such a sweet, joyful place and the VOLUME Summer Program is an incredibly eye-opening experience. The Hospital isn’t just a place where sick kids go…it’s a place where sick kids are given new opportunities, grow stronger, and ultimately learn to overcome their challenges! It is a place full of joy, laughter and LIFE!” – Avery, VOLUME Class V
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is a place that is full of life. Each child at the Hospital has something unique and different to offer the world and through the Hospital they are given the opportunity to express their individuality. Their motto really is true – miracles happen here.” – Joyce, VOLUME Class IV
“The VOLUME Summer Program was a blessing and a great opportunity for me. I have learned to have compassion for those who are in need. This program has helped me learn about the medical profession, special education methods and the therapies involved in rehabilitative care. I have been humbled by this experience and am thankful to God for everything He has given me.” – Adarsh, VOLUME Class III
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital has taught me what it looks like to truly love your job, and what it looks like to take care of a child’s every need. I have learned that the Hospital is not like any ordinary hospital; the staff fully loves and takes care of every individual child and help the families as best they can.” – Rachel, VOLUME Class III
- Applicants must be enrolled in 10th through 12th grade during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Commit to attending all days within their scheduled session. Attendance is expected and only two absences are allowed.
- Submit a completed online application, including an uploaded copy of the applicant’s immunization records.
- Include one online recommendation. The recommendation should be completed by someone who can speak to the applicant’s character, work ethic and ability to show compassion to others. Appropriate recommenders include teachers, coaches, academic counselors, small group leaders, pastors, or those who have supervised the applicant in an employment or volunteer role. Recommenders should not be family members, boyfriends/girlfriends or friends. Applications will not be considered complete until the recommendation is submitted.
- Those accepted into the VOLUME Summer Program will be required to provide documentation that they have received the vaccine for Varicella (Chicken Pox) twice in their lifetime and the vaccine for MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) twice in their lifetime. Participants also will be required to receive two skin tests for Tuberculosis (TB), which can be administered at no cost by The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital.
High school students who have successfully completed the VOLUME Summer Program are eligible to serve on The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital Teen Leadership Board. Designed to further connect members to the mission, vision and purpose of Hospital, board members identify and meet the needs of patients through service projects and group activities. Meetings are held once per month, from September through April.
Sign Up for More Information
The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is not currently accepting new applications for the 2021 VOLUME program. The 2021 session has been filled with those students accepted for the 2020 program. High school students who will be enrolled in 9th grade or higher in the 2021-2022 school year are welcome to sign up to receive notifications about the 2022 application process.
For more information, please contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com or (405) 470-2255.