The VOLUME Summer Program is a seven-week program for teens hoping to pursue careers in medicine, nursing, rehabilitative therapies, special education, child life or social work. VOLUME provides hands-on learning experiences as well as the opportunity to work directly with the Hospital’s pediatric patients. The VOLUME Summer Program will occur on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., beginning June 5 and ending July 19. Attendance is expected and no more than three absences are allowed. Attendance on June 5 is mandatory. VOLUME will not be held on July 5. All sessions are held at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital. Space for the VOLUME Summer Program is limited.
“The VOLUME Summer Program was a blessing and a great opportunity for me. I have learned to have compassion for those who are in need. This program has helped me learn about the medical profession, special education methods and the therapies involved in rehabilitative care. I have been humbled by this experience and am thankful to God for everything He has given me.” – Adarsh, VOLUME Class III
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital has taught me what it looks like to truly love your job, and what it looks like to take care of a child’s every need. I have learned that the Hospital is not like any ordinary hospital; the staff fully loves and takes care of every individual child and help the families as best they can.” – Rachel, VOLUME Class III
“I have learned that, no matter what, you always have the option to be happy. When I look at the patients, I realize they enjoy almost everyday. To see how they show positive attitudes has truly been an inspiration to me.” – Hannah, VOLUME Class II
- VOLUME applicants must be enrolled in 10th-12th grade during the 2018-2019 school year, and:
- Commit to attending all sessions from June 4 through July 18. No more than three absences will be allowed. Attendance at the first session (June 5) is mandatory. VOLUME will not be held on July 4.
- Complete and submit the application packet by March 17, 2019, including:
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be completed by someone who can speak about the applicant’s character, work ethic, and ability to show compassion to others. Appropriate recommenders include teachers, academic counselors, coaches, youth pastors, small group leaders or those who have supervised the applicant in an employment or volunteer capacity. Recommendation letters should not be from family members, significant others, or friends. Recommendation letters can be uploaded into the online application in either a .doc or .pdf format.
- Should applicants be invited to interview for the VOLUME Summer Program, they will be asked to bring a signed Parent/Guardian Consent Form, as well as copies of their immunization records.
- Those accepted into the VOLUME Summer Program will be required to provide documentation that they have received the vaccine for Varicella (Chicken Pox) twice in their lifetime and MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) once in their lifetime. Participants also will be required to receive one skin test for Tuberculosis (TB), which can be administed at no cost at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital.
High school students who have successfully completed the VOLUME Summer Program are eligible to serve on The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital Teen Leadership Board. Designed to further connect members to the mission, vision and purpose of Hospital, board members identify and meet the needs of patients through service projects and group activities. Meetings are held once per month, from September through April.