The VOLUME Summer Program at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is a service-based, hands-on learning experience for high school students hoping to pursue careers in healthcare and allied health (medicine, nursing, respiratory therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, child life, social work, and so on). Participants have the opportunity to work one-on-one with the Hospital’s pediatric patients at bedside and in special education classrooms. VOLUME also includes skill, character and team-building activities, educational presentations and job shadowing opportunities. All sessions are held at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital. Space for the VOLUME Summer Program is limited.
To accommodate additional participants, VOLUME is now offered in two sessions. Selected participants will be assigned to one of the following sessions:
- Session 1 (Class VI): Monday, June 8, through Thursday, June 25. Participants will meet daily (Monday through Thursday) for three weeks, from 8:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. each day. The first day of VOLUME (Monday, June 8) is mandatory. Students should not apply for Session 1 if they cannot attend June 8th in its entirety.
- Session 2 (Class VII): Tuesday, July 7, through Thursday, July 23. Participants will meet daily (Tuesday through Thursday for the first week, Monday through Thursday for the second and third weeks) from 8:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. each day. The first day of VOLUME (Tuesday, July 7) is mandatory. Students should not apply for Session 2 if they cannot attend July 7th in its entirety.
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is such a sweet, joyful place and the VOLUME Summer Program is an incredibly eye-opening experience. The Hospital isn’t just a place where sick kids go…it’s a place where sick kids are given new opportunities, grow stronger, and ultimately learn to overcome their challenges! It is a place full of joy, laughter and LIFE!” – Avery, VOLUME Class V
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital is a place that is full of life. Each child at the Hospital has something unique and different to offer the world and through the Hospital they are given the opportunity to express their individuality. Their motto really is true – miracles happen here.” – Joyce, VOLUME Class IV
“The VOLUME Summer Program was a blessing and a great opportunity for me. I have learned to have compassion for those who are in need. This program has helped me learn about the medical profession, special education methods and the therapies involved in rehabilitative care. I have been humbled by this experience and am thankful to God for everything He has given me.” – Adarsh, VOLUME Class III
“The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital has taught me what it looks like to truly love your job, and what it looks like to take care of a child’s every need. I have learned that the Hospital is not like any ordinary hospital; the staff fully loves and takes care of every individual child and help the families as best they can.” – Rachel, VOLUME Class III
- Commit to attending all days within their scheduled session. Attendance is expected and only two absences are allowed.
- Submit a completed online application by Monday, March 23, by 11:59 p.m. The application must include an uploaded copy of the applicant’s immunization records.
- Include one online recommendation. The recommendation should be completed by someone who can speak to the applicant’s character, work ethic and ability to show compassion to others. Appropriate recommenders include teachers, coaches, academic counselors, small group leaders, pastors, or those who have supervised the applicant in an employment or volunteer role. Recommenders should not be family members, boyfriends/girlfriends or friends. The recommender deadline is March 23, at 11:59 p.m. Applications will not be considered complete until the recommendation is submitted.
- Those accepted into the VOLUME Summer Program will be required to provide documentation that they have received the vaccine for Varicella (Chicken Pox) twice in their lifetime and the vaccine for MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) twice in their lifetime. Participants also will be required to receive two skin tests for Tuberculosis (TB), which can be administered at no cost by The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital.
High school students who have successfully completed the VOLUME Summer Program are eligible to serve on The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital Teen Leadership Board. Designed to further connect members to the mission, vision and purpose of Hospital, board members identify and meet the needs of patients through service projects and group activities. Meetings are held once per month, from September through April.