How we are making an impact on injury prevention in Oklahoma
Did you know that preventable injuries are the #1 cause of death of children in the U.S. and in Oklahoma? Did you know that Bethany Children’s Health Center leads a statewide coalition that promotes injury prevention for children through Safe Kids Oklahoma?
Safe Kids Oklahoma is affiliated with the nonprofit Safe Kids Worldwide and together with our coalition partners we are dedicated to protecting kids from preventable injuries in hopes that more children avoid tragedies and grow up to reach their full potential. We unite injury prevention experts from around the state to assist in achieving our common goal: keeping kids safe. We serve the community by implementing evidence-based programs in schools, churches, WIC offices, hospitals, etc. to raise awareness about preventable injuries. We do so by distributing safety materials and resources according to the needs of the community.
We are proud to say that we serve thousands of children and families across the state. Here are some of the ways we promote safety in an average year:
- Host 72 Car Seat Checks where Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians inspect 1,500 car seats and distribute 1,200 car seats to families in need
- Host 50 community workshops teaching child passenger safety Conduct 10 National Child Passenger Safety Technician courses certifying 100 technicians
- Host The Martha Collar Tech Reunion for 200 child passenger safety technicians
- Host Safe Kids Day at the OKC Zoo to reach 5,000 children and parents with safety information and resources
- Host Wee and Wacky Water Wahoo –to provide life-saving water safety education to 2,000 under-served Oklahoma children
- Install Life Jacket Loaner boards at 5 Oklahoma lakes and provide 200 life jackets
- Teach bike and pedestrian safety and provide reflective wearables to 2,500 children
Here are some hard facts and helpful resources on some of the subjects that we tackle.
Car Seat Safety Fact:
Road injuries are the leading cause of preventable deaths and injuries to children in the United States. Correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71 percent, but more than half of car seats are not used or installed correctly.
Helpful prevention tips: https://www.safekids.org/tip/car-seat-tips
Pedestrian Safety Fact:
Unintentional pedestrian injuries are the fifth leading cause of injury-related death in the United States for children ages 5 to 19.
Helpful prevention tips: https://www.safekids.org/tip/pedestrian-safety-tips
Bike Safety Fact:
Properly-fitted helmets can reduce the risk of head injuries by at least 45 percent – yet less than half of children 14 and under usually wear a bike helmet.
Helpful prevention tips: https://www.safekids.org/tip/bike-safety-tips
Water Safety Fact:
Drowning is the leading cause of injury-related death among children ages 1-4.
Helpful prevention tips: https://www.safekids.org/tip/swimming-safety-tips