Happy Fourth of July

Happy Fourth of July

Staff at The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital would like to wish everyone a fun and safe Independence Day. From pool parties, family gatherings, and watching fireworks displays, July Fourth is a day for family fun.

Many families will gather to have their own fireworks displays at home. While fireworks can be fun, they come with a risk of injury or even death.

“Children and fireworks are both unpredictable. Even the smallest fireworks can cause disfiguring burns and severe eye injuries. A moment can change you and your child’s life forever,” said Tami McMichael, advanced practice registered nurse, The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital.

More than 3,000 children under the age of 15 are sent to the emergency room each year in the United States because of fireworks. Burns are the most common type of firework injury. Sparklers account for 14% of burns. These widely used fireworks burn at a temperature of approximately 1,200 degrees, which is hot enough to melt some metals.

The best way to keep your children safe is to not use fireworks at home. Attend public fireworks displays and leave the lighting to professionals. If you plan to use fireworks at home, make sure to follow these tips to keep your children as safe as possible.

  • Never allow children to play with or light fireworks.
  • Light one firework at a time and quickly move away.
  • Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
  • When using fireworks, always keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire.
  • After fireworks stop burning, douse them with water before discarding to prevent trash fires.

Please keep these tips in mind and carefully supervise children while enjoying your celebration. For additional tips on keeping children safe, please click here.

 

 

 

Comments are closed.