The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital has a rich history dating back to 1898 when Mattie Mallory, our founder, felt God’s call to help the orphans of Oklahoma City. After operating The Oklahoma Orphanage in multiple Oklahoma City locations, Mattie moved the children to Bethany in 1909.
Mallory was instrumental in the establishment of Bethany. She helped name the streets of Bethany and chose to name the street on which she moved the orphanage to Mueller, after George Mueller, a man who in the 1800’s took care of orphans in England.
George Mueller’s philosophy was “To prove to a doubting world that God will provide.” Mattie, too, believed God would provide. And here we are more than 100 years later, still sitting on Mueller Street, where God continues to provide for his work.
While the mission has changed, the primary focus on the well being of children has always followed Mattie’s basic principles based on faith, hope, and love.
In 1939, the facility became The Children’s Convalescent Home of Oklahoma City, Inc. Executive Director E. Clay “Pops” Venable made diligent efforts to improve the facility, and in 1961, the nursing home became a specialized hospital called, “The Children’s Convalescent Hospital.”
After Venable retired in 1968 the financial stability of the hospital became uncertain and The International Pentecostal Holiness Church stepped in to help; the facility continued to lose money.
In the late 1970’s, with a heartfelt call closely resembling Mattie Mallory’s, the brother-sister team of Albert Gray and Carol Gray turned around the facility.
In June of 1995, the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation recognized the commitment and financial stewardship and awarded the hospital a grant in the amount of $9.77 million to build the Donald W. Reynolds Complex to house 100 inpatient beds for children and teenagers.
In May of 2008, The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital dedicated a new $7 million 20 bed unit following a generous capital campaign.
In September of 2017, a new four-story patient bed tower and parking structure were added to the campus landscape following a $30 million capital campaign bringing the total inpatient bed count to 160 making it one of the largest free-standing inpatient pediatric rehabilitation hospitals in the country.
Today, The Children’s Center Rehabilitation Hospital offers a wide range of medical services, rehabilitative care, social services and education to children and teenagers with complex medical needs. Like Mattie Mallory’s desire so many years ago, the more than 725 employees are dedicated to maximizing the potential of all children who come through its doors.
“When the heart is filled with the joy of the Lord, there is a heaven-born courage for the work He has put in our hands…a courage that knows no defeat because the Lord is with us. His joy fills our heart and strengthens us, for we realize if He is for us who can be against us?” – Mattie M. Mallory
“Precious, consecrated workers have labored and prayed with me and to them, under God, is due much of the success of the work at present, for God is faithful who will not forget their labor of love.” – Quote from a 1905 article from the Purity Journal written by Mattie M. Mallory, Founder